by Seth BUTERA August 25, 2021
The East Africa Tourist Visa is a single entry visa for foreigners visiting Rwanda, Kenya, and Uganda simultaneously. It is multi-entry within the three countries; however, this expires automatically if a traveler goes outside of the three (3) countries.
This visa is a result of a joint initiative made by the Heads of States of the respective partner countries to boost regional tourism and create opportunities for tourists to explore the diversity of East Africa. A tourist who gets the East Africa Tourist Visa must start travel from the country that has issued the Visa and shall be valid for 90 days.
A foreigner who wants to visit simultaneously the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Kenya, and the Republic of Uganda for tourism purposes. The visa will be issued at any of the diplomatic representations of Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda, at the immigration offices of the respective countries or online where applicable.
1. An application for an East Africa Tourist Visa may be made manually or online by submitting the East African Tourist Visa form 1
2. The application may be made prior to the intended date of travel or on arrival at the first port of entry into Rwanda, Kenya, or Uganda where applicable. Applications can also be lodged at any of the diplomatic representations of the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Kenya, and the Republic of Uganda, at the Immigration Offices of the respective countries or online where applicable.
Rwanda: For those beginning their trip in Rwanda, you can apply through the Rwanda Online Visa Application System. Under “Type of Visa” select “East Africa Tourist Visa.” For more information, contact your local Rwanda embassy.
Kenya: For those beginning their trip in Kenya, you can find information on the visa application process on the consular section of your local Kenya embassy’s website.
Uganda: For those beginning their trip in Uganda, you can find information on the visa application process on the consular section of your local Uganda Embassy’s website.
3. Every application for an East Africa Tourist Visa shall be accompanied by the East Africa Tourist Visa fee of one hundred United States Dollars (100 USD) or its equivalent.
Dependents: All persons must apply in their own right.
Travel document: Any genuine acceptable travel document valid not less than 6 months.
Visa Fees: 100 USD or its equivalent.
Validity of Visa: 90 days from the date of issue.
Work or No Work: Work is not permitted
Visa Extension: An East Africa Tourist Visa can not be extended.
Multi-entry/ Single entry: The Visa is a single entry visa, but it is multiple entries within the Partner states only. It elapses when one moves out of the Partner States.
1. One clear colored passport size photo with white background recently taken without glasses, caps, and scurf; (the photo should be attached to the application form by use of glue stick. Stapling and clipping the photo to the application form is not advisable).
2. A complete filled application form.
3. Visa application letter addressed to the issuing authority of the concerned country.
Special consideration has been given to expatriates (foreign residents) residing in Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda. They no longer need a visa to visit any of the three countries. They can now obtain an Inter-State Pass which is valid for 6 months.
In addition to the requirements listed above for the East Africa Tourist Visa, the expatriates will require a valid resident/ work permit.
Rwandans, Kenyans, and Ugandans use Identity Cards as travel documents within the region. The use of National Identity cards went into effect on 1 January 2014. The decision enables citizens of one country to spend up to six months in the two other countries using only their National Identification (ID) cards.
Students who are nationals of Rwanda, Kenya, and Uganda can use their Students Identification Cards(IDs) to travel to any of the three countries.